Cortez and Jo-Beth descend to the catacombs below the mansion. There's still no sign of the Time Traveler but the horrors and craziness around them are clearly the result of the twisted research of the Brotherhood of Ultra Science. Who is behind this madness?
Primary Objectives Edit
- Uncover the identity of the mystery time traveler
- Protect Jo-Beth from the zombie horde
- Eliminate "Princess"
- Escape from the catacombs
- Arthur Aching
- Clip Clamp
- Demon Fly
- Dr. Pustule
- Gilbert Gastric
- Gideon Gout
- Jo-Barf Creepy
- Lenny Oldburn (Singular - registers as an enemy, but will not attack even if provoked)
- Princess (Singular)
Avoid the flying boxes (or let Jo-Beth trip them all). Grab the revolver ammo (you'll need it) and follow the tunnel. Have the revolver equipped. The green pit has no enemies and Cortez will be in for a "surprise" after falling through the floor. Just be sure to have a revolver ready (aimed at what looks like Jo-Beth) and back away quickly (easy to tell if she's NOT the real one if the aim crosshair turns red) or just shoot her head quickly BEFORE she reacts. Deal with the enemies and meet up with Jo-Beth. Before entering the morgue to help her, TK grab the shotgun laying against the railing so you have extra ammo for fending off the zombies. Protect Jo-Beth from zombies by killing them all and grabbing the extra shells under the stairs.
Move down into the lab, kill the zombies and access the PC. The program you are looking for is the Unlock Security Door A. None of the voice code is ever used in the game.
The electric zombies can throw lightning, so aim quickly for their heads using any weapon (revolver is recommended) and blow their heads off. Try to have at least 12 bullets in the revolver though, for later. The second morgue has a PC that Jo-Beth needs to hack. Take the harpoon gun near the bed closest to the door. Use it on the zombies who slide down the body disposal chutes. You can shotgun or harpoon the heads of the enemies as they sit up. Once enough enemies are killed, Jo-Beth opens the door to the rest of the lab.
Grab the ammo in the labs here and reload the harpoon gun and revolver. The PCs in the labs can make the prisoner explode or contort (depending on your perferences), so have fun with that.
The pentagram room (above illus) is a checkpoint. Equip the revolver before venturing inside. During the mine cart scene, the revolver should be able to kill the drop down zombies with auto-aim. Reload when you think you have a clear chance. For protecting future Cortez, use the harpoon gun and kill the zombies in your way. Head to the end and enter the cave. From here on out, you use the Ghost Gun exclusively.
Fry each ghost before they touch you and be sure to head left at the fork to grab the medical kit first; once the time loop occurs, you can't go back. Protect past Cortez by destroying the ghosts coming out of the boxes. Past Cortez is practically immune to being zombie swiped, so if he's stuck, melee the zombie and it may be enough to let the AI kill the zombie. Just protect the past Cortez from ghosts, who will kill the guy very quickly. Reach the mine cart area again, pick up the ammo but keep the Ghost Gun equipped before falling down the hole.
This boss is hard since you have a time limit (Jo-Beth's life), a small target (the tank) and four million flying enemies who set you on fire. The key to beating this boss to use the ghost gun to fry the tank. Since the beam is continuous, you don't worry about reloading or ammo. The second thing to do is to place Cortez behind one of the triangular rocks, so the fire from the boss hits the wide base but the narrow top lets the ghost gun's beam shoot right through at the tank. The last thing to know about is to use the melee attack when it seems like the ghost gun is hitting one of the flying enemies or if you're being burned too badly. For some reason the melee attack will kill the flying enemies who are ramming you in one hit.
The best time to hit the tank is when the boss breathes fire, meaning you have to sit in front of it, hoping the rock is in the right spot to block the fire while you roast the tank using the ghost gun. Adjust your aim and keep the ghost gun beam on the tank -- you occasionally score hits past the skull openings.
Another opportunity shows itself when the boss roars (with NO fire coming out) exposing the tank. You can also use the shotgun when that happens to cause significant damage.
(Actually, if you still have ammo for the harpoon gun, you can get the tank to explode with three hits)
Once the boss dies, all the enemies in the room vanish and Jo-Beth is safe. head up the lift and meet Jo-Beth. In the secret lab, reading Jacob Crow's diary triggers the lab's self-destruct sequence. With the escape shown in the arrow on the screen, you simply need to follow it to the exit and shoot any zombie or monster in your way. The harpoon gun really shines here, since you fire a load of shots, then run over the dead body to regain all your spears.
- There is a drunken scientist in the corner near the door before you reach the pit where Lenny Oldburn is feeding "Princess", he talks about all the things he would have invented if other people didn't invent them first.
- This level has a few references to Steven Spielberg films. The first is when you confront Princess. Anya says "Smile you bitch!", which is a reference to the infamous line "Smile you son of a bitch!" from Jaws. The second is when the self-destruct sequence activates. The computer screen displays "You didn't say the magic word!", which is what the hacker Dennis Nedry programs into the computer in Jurassic Park. Jo-Beth's being hung over Princess and the mine cart part seem to be homages to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom.
- The name of this ghost-ridden mission recalls the ghost-story thriller film What Lies Beneath.
- In two player if you kill Lenny Oldburn at first, you still have to save him later from Princess.
- If you shoot the head off of the zombie being hung by the neck next to the first Jo-Barf Creepy, it will fall down awkwardly and fade away normally, instead of using a death animation.
- Even when you shoot Lenny Oldburn, he may not react. This varies from player to player, as he may follow you or continue feeding Princess after being shot.
- The "audio log" within one of the computers is a rather overt reference to DOOM 3 and its audio logs, which randomly contained codes for weapon lockers within the game. This is a spoof of those audio logs, considering the talker doesn't remember what the code is until the very last second.