|Released||26th October 2000|
Capture the Bag
|Max Players||4 (Multitap)|
TimeSplitters is the first game in the TimeSplitters trilogy, released as an exclusive launch title for the PlayStation 2 on 26 October 2000 and receiving ratings of Teen from ESRB and 15+ from ELSPA. The game contains the Mapmaker, nine Story missions, four-player arcade, over 50 characters and a Challenge mode which unlocks the game's features. The Story missions have 3 different difficulties, with unique story paths per difficulty.
Arcade mode is a Selection of Game Modes that can be played with AI Bots or with other players.There, you can customize the game rules to your liking. You can choose which bots are on your side, and which ones will oppose you. You can also adjust their ability (the Stars next to the A.I), with 1 being the worst and 5 being the best. Unlockable Cheats and Characters can be used here.
Challenge Mode is unlocked after completing the Spaceways Story level. It has many missions with a high difficulty level. The objectives range from fighting off TimeSplitters on a spaceship to battling for a bag of bones in a graveyard. Challenge Mode unlocks more characters and cheats for use in Arcade Mode.
- This is the only game to only be rated by ESRB and ELSPA.
- ESRB did not include a rating for Alcohol Reference (see Captain Ash). A possible explanation for this is that the flask was interpreted to be a canteen full of water, something that explorers such as Ash would most likely carry on long expeditions, thus the reference to alcohol slipped through unnoticed.
- The secondary fire of all weapons in the game seem to lift the weapon higher giving the impression of more recoil, even if nothing else changes.
- The save icon in the internal memory browser is simply a wobbling "TS".
- This is the only game in the series exclusive to one console; the PlayStation 2.