It looks like Cortez isn't the only one trying to use time travel to stop things before they happen! Crow has sent a crack team of Time Assassins from 1924 Kronia to 2401 where their mission is to kill Cortez before he can deliver the time crystals to Anya at Spacetime Marine HQ. Cortez must protect his past self from the Time Assassins!
- Protect your past self from the Time Assassins
- Destroy the TimeSplitter Mothership
Characters Encountered Edit
This level is said to be especially difficult on Normal and Hard. Past Cortez becomes increasingly vulnerable with each progressing difficulty, making defending him a principle objective.
Down all the enemies attacking past Cortez near the ship wreck. When past Cortez moves to the lower side of the canyon, eyeball the explosive box and get rid of the enemies quickly. A sniper will appear on the same level as current Cortez -- snipe him (above right illus) and then change back to the pistol and take care of the enemies below and on your level.
When Anya says it's safe to move on, follow the gray arrow into a tunnel with enemies. Attack them and take their plasma rifles. Move to the section overlooking the bridge and help out yourself by exploding the boxes near enemies. You need to move to the turret and take care of the Splitter Mothership.
Take out the enemies on the bridge before moving onto the gun turret. The Mothership battle is simple -- fire at the ship anywhere while moving the gun slightly to intercept the incoming missiles. The missiles, however, aren't particularly damaging. You can slowly damage the ship by dipping the gun on the ship between missile waves. Blow up the ship and move off the bridge.
Grab the power-ups and kill the enemies in the bunker. When past Cortez blows up the barrels behind the snipers, stop at the window and kill the TimeSplitters appearing below.
Take the Plasma Autorifle and attack the TimeSplitters in the corridor. Destroy the barrels in the tunnel to kill off half of them, then use the rest of the plasma grenades to reach the lift (above right illus).
Use the sniper or plasma rifle and blast the enemies near past Cortez. This bot changes positions with the other two soldiers occasionally, so keep an eye on who can be dispensed with and who needs the protection. Once past Cortez moves into the base, the mission ends.
- The Mothership is destroyed AFTER the bridge is destroyed by an incoming fighter. This mistake makes it impossible for Cortez to have been using the Gun Emplacement on the bridge to destroy the ship.
- Corporal Hart is mentioned by one of the marines in this level.
- When close to the barrels (where Past Sergeant Cortez is supposed to shoot and blow up the snipers) if the player shoots and blows up the barrels before Cortez does - the Marine will say "Nice shot Cortez!" (to Past Cortez) even though he never shot.
- Appropriately for the events of this mission, its name evokes "the case of the hooded man", an infamous English murder trial that featured both a dispute over the identity of an unknown shooter and one of the earliest uses of forensic ballistics in a court of law—the science of reconstructing a previous event when a gun or similar weapon was used, from evidence suggesting the projectile's point of origin, trajectory and related facts. In the instance of the "hooded man" case, this was used to support an argument concerning the unknown shooter's true identity, much as the identity of the mysterious shooter observed in the game's earlier mission Time to Split is revealed by comparing the points of origin, trajectories and targets of the weapons fire from "future" Cortez during this mission to what was witnessed by "past" Cortez during that previous mission.